Carolyn's Dinner Rolls
makes 24 rolls
2-1/2 cups warm water (about 110°F)
1/2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups powdered milk
1/3 cups butter, plus more for brushing on the pan and the rolls
3 tablespoons rapid rise yeast
2 teaspoons salt
7~7-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Pour water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add powdered milk, sugar, and yeast. Mix with whisk attachment until combined. Let the yeast proof.
- Add egg and cooled melted butter. Mix.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment and add 5 C flour and mix for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides, and add salt. Beat for another 4-5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and very elastic. Add 1 more C of flour. As you beat the dough, continue adding flour a little at a time until the dough is still slightly sticky.
- Cover and let stand until double it's size.
- Punch down and divide into 2 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a circle 18 inches in diameter. Brush with a thin layer of melted butter. Cut into 12 wedges. Place the wide part of the wedge closest to you, tuck in the sides, and roll. Place on a buttered baking sheet with the point of the rolled wedge down. Let rise in a warm place until double it's size. Place in a preheated 350°F oven and bake 10~12 minutes until golden brown. Brush with butter when done.